Saturday, July 14, 2007

Firefox is Fabulous

Lately, our computer was running sloooowww........aaaaas......mooolassssssessss. We weren't very diligent about virus protection and such things, so I fixed that and cleared out some spyware that was haunting our machine. That didn't make much difference. I contemplated getting more memory. Then, I also installed the Mozilla Firefox web browser, as I've been encouraged to do from various sources in the past. Today was the first day where we've run Firefox exclusively (no Internet Explorer at all), and it's like the problem had never even existed. I'm so happy with it, and it's been a little boost to the mundanity (?) of life, especially since I'm "teaching" an online course right now and it's been driving me bonkers to count the seconds of my life wasting away as I watch the computer sit in a stupor after every mouse click, even to load up stupid things like pages of text. Anyhow, I hope this improved performance continues.

Of course, I remember, my freshman year at Calvin, in 1998, on the dorm computers in the basement, following a discombobulated series of links to grainy images of various things from Star Wars. It took 5 minutes to go through the whole thing and load the pictures, but we thought it was awesome.

2 comments:

Dan said...

If you want to upgrade your RAM, go to www.crucial.com. They have really cheap RAM and can automatically select what is right for your computer. I've added 1 GB to both our computers, which was a big step up from the 256MB in our desktop! I think I added a few more years of useful life to it.

Nick said...

Yeah, Firefox is awesome. If you go to their website, you can download a bunch of free add-ons, to make it do all sorts of stuff.