Monday, April 09, 2007

Appendectomy

Clearly it wasn't enough to be raising a 2-week-old, selling a house and dealing with snow in April, so my appendix went on the fritz. I woke up at 2am Saturday morning with abdominal pain, and after no culminating flu-like event occurred and the pain just got worse, we headed for the ER around noon. Once some pain medication kicked in the weekend got relatively easy for me, at least, as I pretty much laid around, slept, went through surgery and had my appendix removed, remembered nothing of it, watched TV, slept, ate, and eventually went home. Life for everyone else around me got more complicated, though.

I'm planning on heading back to work on Wednesday, and I'll only have missed one day of teaching. Annika's spring break is over then, too, so we'll have those logistics to deal with as well. I've been appreciating my Vicodin today, but hopefully things will start to heal up so I can return to normal soon and life can start to even out.

A few weeks ago we had a nice routine in our life, but since Jake was born it's been serious chaos. Here's looking forward to some normalcy (in 2008?).

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

You poor guys. We felt so bad for you all. You know those first 4-6 weeks are the hardest...hopefully the nice routine will return soon enough.

FYI: Don't drive on the Vicodin until you know how it effects you! It's kind of like drinking and driving. Also, don't take Tylenol in addition to the Vicodin, because the Vicodin has Tylenol in it, too.

I think Dan just might be jealous of you. He is always talking about pain medicine.

Greg said...

You should tell people that you had a C-Section...

Mike said...

Actually, Lisa picked me up with Jake to take me home, so there I was in a wheelchair holding a tiny baby while Lisa carried a couple things, which was strangely the reverse of Sunday afternoon two weeks ago.

And Rececca, I'm taking good care of myself and my Vicodin - it does very nice things for me, but I won't take any before driving to work tomorrow. Thanks, though! And none for Dan.

Susan said...

Oh, my! How crazy is that? I can see where you're really looking forward to getting back into a routine...if that's possible in the final sprint to year-end. I'm at six weeks and counting, so I'd guess you're at about four weeks to go (or 8 with the kids). Mike, I appreciate your sense of humor in your posts (maybe the Vicodin helps?).
Susan

Nick said...

The word 'appendectomy' just sounds cool, although I'm sure the experience wasn't the greatest. We're proud of you for being so strong about it; I would probably have just laid down on the floor and wept for several days.

Maybe you'll develop superpowers now.

"Little did he know, that his appendectomy had given him secret powers. Until one day, when police sirens sounded in the distance..."