Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Spouting on Sports

So, what good is a blog that only gets updated once every two months, anyway? Oh well. What follows is all sports-related, so if you don't care, don't say I didn't warn you.

The sad Tigers of Detroit gave us hope, toyed with us, then went out drinking and let us down. There never should have been a one-game playoff, but the Tigers couldn't put together a decent win down the stretch to close it out. Boo. This season's end is a lot worse to take than last year, when they finished last in the their division.

So then, given who has made the playoffs, here's how things will go in my ideal world (these aren't predictions, just requests of the baseball gods):

In the NL, the Phillies beat the Rockies and the Cardinals beat the Dodgers, and then the Cardinals beat the Phillies to get to the World Series. I wouldn't totally mind the Dodgers making it all the way, but I want St. Louis in the World Series - see below.

In the AL, the Yankees beat the Twins and the Angels beat the Red Sox. I'm a bit burned out on the Red Sox and their rise to glory (as tainted by steroids as it may now be). Then, I'd actually hope for the Yankees to beat the Angels - I don't find the Angels particularly interesting, and even though I despise the Yankees, there's good reason for them to reach the World Series.

Now I would never hope for the Yankees to WIN the World Series - that's about last on the list of my desires - but if the Tigers can't represent the AL, then why not have the Yankees nearly meet their definition of success and then crush them? I'm requesting that the Cardinals win the World Series in five games, so they win at home, with a 550-foot home run in the bottom of the ninth by Albert Pujols, the studliest, most awesome, respectable and steroid-free player in the world. I'd prefer that it be a game seven home run, but then it would have to happen in New York, since the AL team gets home-field advantage this year, and I'd rather witness a series-ending homer (of which there have only been two - Joe Carter, 1993, Blue Jays and Bill Mazeroski, 1960, Pirates - Kirk Gibson's homer in 1988 was the coolest, but it happened in game 1). Also, throughout the playoffs I would prefer lots of exciting games, numerous game 7's, fewer commercials between innings, and games that end by 11:15ish, so I can get a respectable amount of sleep. It's the first postseason that I get to see in HD, so I'd like it to be a decent one.

Meanwhile, the wonderful football season's are motoring along, and Notre Dame looks decent so far. They might even beat USC in a couple weeks. We'll see. Hockey started too, but it gets lost amidst the football and baseball, and I can't get into it when the playoffs won't end until June. It's a bit ridiculous, really. I have plans for reorganizing the entire NHL, if they ever ask.

Yay, I posted again! While making chocolate chip cookies, no less. Until December...

...but hopefully not.

No comments: