Thursday, September 20, 2007

College Allegiances

In response to the comments on my last post:

Notre Dame is my school. Even though this is going to be a pathetic year, I can't abandon them. From my perspective, there's no way they're going to beat Michigan State this weekend, but from the MSU point of view, I'd be worried that everything will fall apart this weekend, when they should win, but won't, simply because things are rarely this good for the Spartans (3-0 so far, while U of M is 1-2).

Even though I work at Ferris, I don't identify with their athletic teams or with their student experience enough to care much about their football team.

I have no experience with the University of Kentucky, although since Dan and Rebecca became Wildcats, I notice them now when looking through scores. It was cool for them to take down Louisville last weekend.

And then there's Ohio State - I've been to three OSU football games, courtesy of brother Nick (Ph.D., class of 2007) and two of them were the Michigan game. That means that I've also experienced this: "We don't give a **** about the whole state of Michigan, cuz we're from O-HI-O!" sung with such sincerity by many scarlet-and-gray clad people, where **** represents a variety of four-letter words. It's pure, vile hatred that many Buckeye fans have, not just for U of M, but for THE WHOLE STATE OF MICHIGAN, like the entire place is one big toilet (but not Nick, right? Stay strong, brother!). That means you, fellow Michigander - they think you're scum! I don't necessarily dislike Jim Tressel (the head coach) or the individual players for OSU, but I hope that Michigan obliterates OSU this November, just to ruin the senior year for a bunch of moronic, Bud Light-swilling 22-year-old Buckeye fans.

On the other hand, for every Sunday Night Football game, they always run through the starting lineups (recorded earlier), and each player says their name and their college. The former Buckeyes always say THE Ohio State University. Sheesh.

Finally - Pumpkin Ales can be very good, but I'm never as thrilled as I hope to be. Fall is great, and measuring time by when the Oktoberfests hit the store is fun, but I often prefer quality India pale ales and stouts over the fall seasonals. And Nick, you do tend to have a strong affinity for pumpkin anything. Am I right?

We buy a house tomorrow!

1 comment:

Nick said...

I like my school, and I enjoy rooting for the Buckeyes, although I'll be the first to admit that our fans can be cah-razy! You'll be happy to know that I proudly tell me students on the first day of classes that I grew up in Michigan and that I still consider it a wonderful state (I was booed once).

And while it's disappointing to watch your team lose, we have deserved it on many occasions. Ohio State players (and their fans) tend to walk into every game as if they are automatically entitled to win, and I've seen many-a well-deserved whooping (i.e. this past year's national championship - embarrassing!).

All that being said, I'll probably root for Ohio State for the rest of my life. After all, it is my school.

And, yes, I do like just about everything pumpkin, so that waters down my appreciation for Pumpkin Ales some. When it comes down to it, I'd probably pick a nice, thick, alcoholic Russian Imperial Stout or Scotch Ale over anything else.