Monday, May 01, 2006

Movie Reviews

Because you value my opinion (right?):

Lisa and I watched the Passion of the Christ last night. We borrowed it from our neighbors about a year ago, so it was time. Overall, very well done, but brutal to watch. Some strange stuff, though (spoilers ho!): Was Mary Magdalene the nearly-stoned prostitute? Satan's, um, baby? What? Did demon kids really chase Judas? In the end, these give me Harry Potter syndrome: after seeing a movie based on a book, I feel the need to read the book to see what "really" happened (and in the case of HP, to read the whole series again).

Other movies, in brief, from the last few months:

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - good weird fun. I do like Johnny Depp, even more so knowing that he can do Willy Wonka and Cap'n Jack Sparrow.

Emma - nice romantic comedy. Nothing super special, but well done.

John Q. - Again, nothing special, but it does make you think a little bit about our screwed-up health care system.

Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2 - surprisingly, two very different movies, but both spectacular in their own ways. I think I prefer Volume 1. They just ooze with Quentin Tarantino style.

Ocean's 12 - alright already. Fine, but getting a little ridiculous with that many characters. I can't believe they're making Ocean's 13.

War of the Worlds - pretty good. As a father of daughters, I could feel myself getting anxious whenever Tom Cruise got separated from Dakota Fanning. The minivan-jacking scene is a good example, as Tom argues with the crowd while someone else gets in the driver's seat - my inner monologue was nothing but "Getyourdaughtergetyourdaughtergetyourdaughter."

That's all I can think of. Yay for May!

No comments: