Wednesday, February 01, 2006

And we're off, with a four-note theme...

That's a quote from Professor Peter Schickele (aka P.D.Q. Bach), as he "concertcasts" Beethoven's 5th.

I don't know if this thing is going to go anywhere, but I've decided to follow the crowd and put some of my life up for all the world to see. Here goes...

I've adopted "blidablat" as an internet identity, out of the need for something that didn't end with an underscore and 3 digits. A blidablat is a couch-dwelling creature that occasionally emerged during the childhood I shared with my three younger brothers. It was contained by the three cushions of the couch propped vertically against the front, along with the back and arms of the couch. The blidiblat was basically defined by its appetite, as it devoured anything that was tossed into its enclosure. Inevitably, all the brothers involved in offering stuffed animal sacrifices to the blidablat were devoured as well.

Quickly, here's other stuff that has happened to me and my family in 2006:

Got sick. So did the rest of the family. For a long time. Everyone's on the way up now, though.

We adopted two cats from the Humane Society (it's always an adopt-one-get-one-free deal there). Layla is just over a year old, is small, and has a vicious cold right now. We have heard her sneeze upwards of 25 times in a row. She came with her name. Tate is about 4 months old, and was originally named Rexford. It took us about four days to name him, and went through many other potential names, including Pippin, Max, Mookie, J.D., Sky, and some offered by Annika: Oo-ah, Sheeree, Pep, and Workjob. We're all happy with Tate, and it's especially funny to hear Abby running around the house going "Taaaaaaate!". Marta, the existing cat, who is 8 years old, is . . . tolerating them.

Well, I hope someone reads this. With a link on our broswer to the blogs of other family members, we've enjoyed how quick and easy it is to check out what they're doing. It's amazing how tough it is to take the initiative and send out an email or call people just to talk about stuff. Obviously, this is ultra-impersonal, but it helps.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Yay! First comment on Mike's blog! Do I get a prize? One of my workers adopted a dog, and her some wanted to name it Ape. I found it very amusing, much like the name Workjob, which I think you should have gone with.